501. Which of the following alcohols would be most soluble in water?
502. Which of the following acid/base pairs act as natural buffers in living systems?
D. All of these
503. If protein is made exclusively from nonpolar amino acids, then it will this protein interact with water?
A. be repelled by water
B. It will be attracted to water
C. It will form a membrane in water
D. It will act as a buffer and stabilize the pH
504. A compound that is capable of forming hydrogen bonds with water
A. is probably held together by noncovalent bonds
B. contains at least some polar covalent bonds
C. should act as a good buffer for acids and bases
D. does not dissolve well in water
505. A biological polymer contains alanine, tyrosine, and lysine. Which of the following will be true about this molecule?
B. Strong base
506. The effectiveness or capacity of a buffer solution can be affected by
A. molar concentration of the buffer components
B. concentration of the conjugate base to the weak acid
C. both (a) and (b)
D. temperature of buffer components
507. Who discovered and described the blood groups (ABO) classification?
A. Theodor Kocher
B. Karl Landsteiner
C. Otto Warburg
D. Karl Hooper
508. H2O and CH4 are both examples of
D. none of these
510. The main difference between an acid and a base is that
A. bases are polar molecules and acids are not
B. acids are polar molecules and bases are not
C. bases donate hydrogen ions in water while acids accept hydrogen ions
D. acids donate hydrogen ions in water while bases accept hydrogen ions